■ Kenya President Uhuru Kenyatta’s ICC trial collapses

The international criminal court case against the Kenyan president, Uhuru Kenyatta, collapsed after prosecutors admitted they lacked evidence, casting doubt on whether the decade-old court can hold the powerful to account.

In a court filing on Friday, the ICC’s chief prosecutor, Fatou Bensouda, said Kenya had not handed over the bank and phone records the court was demanding, leaving it without a case before the scheduled October 7 start.

The case against Kenyatta, accused of stoking inter-ethnic violence in which 1,200 died after Kenya’s 2007 presidential elections, had been postponed several times as prosecutors tried to gather evidence.

The collapse of the case is a severe blow for the court, the first permanent war crimes tribunal, which was set up in The Hague with the aim of ensuring that people accused of the most serious international crimes face justice.

“The accused person in this case is the head of a government that has so far failed fully to comply with its obligations to the court,” Bensouda said in a filing, asking judges to adjourn the case indefinitely.

(The Guardian)

To read complete articles from the Autumn 2014 issue, you must subscribe to our eReader edition.

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s